Tuesday 1 November 2011

Meeting 2

So here’s the second week of my placement. My meeting with editor (Daniel Ionescu) at the Lincolnites home Spark house studios at the usual time of .

So the feedback for this week centred around last weeks story which was student discounts around the city of Lincoln. Me and my editor discussed how I found researching the story and how effectively I used my sources. Overall we found that I used a healthy balance. The sources I used included speaking to my friends who were students in Lincoln, using a coupon book which was given out to students during freshers week and walking around the city and looking shop windows for signs of student discounts.

The second topic of feedback was my cathedral pollution story after I had conducted an interview with a member of the cathedrals fundraising team. We concluded we were best off shelving this story as we had hit a dead end as the interview didn’t add any new insight or balance to the story. Also the content contradicted the original angle which was that serious damage was being inflicted when my research just showed it simply wasn’t, this meant the title and angle could be severely misleading and sensationalist.

This week I pitched two stories:

  1. The Fete on the Strait This Saturday a collection of local business are holding a street party with a variety of entertainment acts and stalls on offer. Me and my editor decided the best method to cover this method to cover this story was to go for a more picture orientated emphasis. The rough word count discussed is 250 to 300 words. However I plan to cover this story by going to the fete, talking to the organiser, people who go, talking to stalls. For pictures the minimum I need to get is ten, I’ve been asked to get people to pose who go. In terms of questions I have to ask they need to be centred around if the event has improved trade.
  2. Fantastic four hits 50 years- This month commemorates fifty years since the first Fantastic Four comic was published. To localise this story I suggested seeing what local comic stores are doing for the event and see if their selling any special related merchandise. My editor also discussed pictures and suggested trying to find anyone who’d be dressing up especially for the event. To look into this I will looking at the local comics forum (http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/thegamesstore/) and talking to the SC-FI society at the university.

No comments:

Post a Comment