Wednesday 21 March 2012

Meeting 17

This week my meeting took place at the usual time and place but this time another double knotted twist was introduced. My meeting was with my editor Daniel Ionescu and Alex Colman.
This week we decided on two stories to follow up on as I'm currently still working on my graffiti story.

1. Artist profile- During my investigations into my graffiti story I found an artist with an interesting back story. The angle we decided on was how he was retired and painting had been a hobby but now he did it full time.

2. Wildlife at the riverside- Recently the local wildlife surrounding the river has been under threat from external sources (http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2012/03/information-wanted-on-swan-attack-gang) however I noticed a story in the Metro about the drought was having an effect on river creatures. So I decided to attempt some localisation by adding a local slant to it. I plan to talk to the Environment agency since the RSPCA don't necessarily have a lot information of the subject and can't provide the kind of statistic data required to make this story viable.

On the subject of my newsgathering since I've come back from Christmas has been more difficult then it has prior to my break, I've found it harder find stories which are unique and highly appealing to my editor. However to combat this I'm going to try and be more creative with my story ideas. Chris Frost writes on the subject of story gathering. the 'non-rational parts of our mind are as important as the logical and rational' maybe if I expand the non-rational part my story gathering may become more appealing.

For example I attempted employing this kind of thought this week. Recently popular drinks company Robinsons is running a campaign to restore local areas to give children something to do in their spare time, this did not come from a usual story source. We decided not follow up on this due to my first two ideas being a lot more time consuming. Maybe in the future I need to think of a clearer angle to pitch. It may best to remember Chris Frosts thoughts on the subject is how will it 'excite readers or viewers.'

No comments:

Post a Comment