Wednesday 18 January 2012

Meeting 8

So here we are after Christmas and my first meeting back. This one took place on the 17th of January at 4pm in Sparkhouse studios with my editor Daniel Ionescu and Alex Coleman. This week we've decided in two stories for me to work on-

1. The footfall figures for the shops in the local area- Now the Christmas boom has finished local business concern Lincoln BIG will so be able to produce figures conveying how the shops performed in December and January. I have been asked to contact them and obtain these figures from this year and the previous two years to have some comparison. The treatment and the nature of this story is tricky. Former student and freelance journalist Tom Farmery mentioned that a top journalist at the Guardian struggled  data journalism which entails translating numeric data into something meaningful. However looking into ways people has transferred this in a meaning way I looked at Shane Crouchers work on translating figures (which can be found here http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2011/05/lincoln-mps-year-of-questions-cost-7-5k/) by using visual aids could help, going back to KISS (Keep It Short and Simple) could make it easier for the reader to digest.

2. Investigating how the RSPCA has copped with unwanted pets over the Christmas period- A lot of animal groups make it clear that a lot of animals which are given as presents for Christmas tend to get abandoned. I've been asked to make contact with the local charity shop and speak to someone about this. Currently their is no angle however I have complied a number of open questions on a range of subjects to help me develop an angle. Though I think doing the interview on a one on one basis in the shop may serve as good inspiration as Chris Frost says 'It is vital that the keen reporter keeps his or her eyes open at all time.' so hopefully something in the shop like a poster or small detail could lead me a strong angle.

So this week on my placement I've heard many remark how quiet it is in terms of news currently. Though this may seem like a negative take on a subject I feel it's in this kind of news environment that reporters have to be careful with the nature of their reporting. Looking at the theory behind news gathering the press play a huge part in creating a moral panic as they essentially create a 'folk devil' to get stigmatised.

So in a time when the news front is quiet it could be easy for news outlets to go overboard on the coverage of a story which could lead to it being perceived as a much bigger problem then it is. This could be traced back to fears over swine flu or the Hadron collider. Despite their being a very small chance of the experiment forming a black hole some news outlets choose to over empathise and panic causing distress in the public sector. So in times like this it could be more suitable to observe the smaller stories and try over turn the negative image that all news is depressing.

So from now on I'll posting a critique of my work afters it's published so check back here every so often.


The critique-



So since the footfall story has been delayed because the figures are not yet available that story has been put on a back burner, however my RSPCA story did go up (here's the link-  http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2012/01/fewer-gift-pets-abandoned-in-lincoln/ )



Looking back at my work I'd say the photo and is quite appealing and relevant, this is because I have a rabbit which the story revolves around partially. This also in a sense successfully coincides with the theory presented by lecturer Roger De Bank who believes the best kind of press photo is the one which includes something living. This idea is supported by Chris Frost who believes that 'pictures can add emotion and authenticity', which I believe the photo did since the rabbit could be considered 'cute'.  



Looking at the copy I was impressed with the detailed and quite memorable quotes Charlotte gave. On the other hand despite having one good interview it might have been suitable to have gotten a second one from an different source to help cement the story. Also on the other hand I have to remember every interviewee has their own bias. As Chris Frost writes on the subject of interviewees 'They may want to win public support', though the biased may be just it's my role as a journalist to produce a balanced and accurate report.

No comments:

Post a Comment